Our Publishing Team offers a unique opportunity to grow as a writer, marketer, and data-driven journalist. With direct access to in-house data scientists, the editorial team creates compelling on-site content revolving around our interactive visualizations. We also contribute posts to publications like TIME, NBA.com, Business Insider, AOL and Sports Illustrated.
As an Editorial Intern, you will specialize within a given vertical and produce written content for that topic. We have 20 vertical search engines, including StartClass (education), PointAfter (sports) and PrettyFamous (entertainment/pop culture). You will gain exposure to the brainstorm, pitch, and publishing process, as well as the strategy for scaling an editorial team. We make sure our interns work on challenging projects that mirror the sort of work you would do as a full time member of the team. This means there will be absolutely no busy work or coffee making.
What You’ll Do
- Produce 3-5 stories per week within your vertical
- Brainstorm, research, and craft compelling onsite content that leverages Graphiq data and visualizations
- Draft and pitch articles for major publishing partners
- Demonstrate a creative approach to developing unique angles and new story ideas based on your voice and writing strengths
- Utilize Graphiq data and visualization tools to create graphs, scatter plots, and side-by-side comparisons to support the content of your articles
- Collaborate with the rest of the Publishing Team in brainstorms, weekly content meetings and editorial review
What We’re Looking For
- Strong writing skills and a track record of success
- Analytical skills: ability to work with data and draw relevant insights
- Excellent communication skills (you will be interfacing with many journalists)
- Researching and creative thinking skills (you will need to be able to filter through a lot of content/data to identify angles for stories)
- Local students who can work through 2015-2016 school year preferred
What We Need From You
- Please submit 2-3 writing samples with your résumé:
- One sample should be somewhat technical in nature (ex: drawing an insight from a graph, explaining a complicated process)
- One sample should be a favorite piece by the candidate, covering a topic she or he is passionate about
- If possible, please submit a sample related to the one of the following fields: business/finance, health, real estate or sports
Start Date: Late May-Early June. Currently accepting applications for the summer from rising juniors, seniors or Class of 2016 graduates.
Interns are expected to work 40/hours week in the summer. Exceptional interns will be asked to join full time at the end of the internship.